Hi Hector,

Thanks for reaching out. This KIP builds on top of KIP-975
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-975%3A+Docker+Image+for+Apache+Kafka>
and
aims to introduce a JVM-based Docker Official Image (DOI
<https://docs.docker.com/trusted-content/official-images/>) for Apache
Kafka that will be visible under Docker Official Images
<https://hub.docker.com/search?image_filter=official&q=>. Once implemented
for Apache Kafka, for each release, there will be one more JVM-based Docker
image available to users.

Currently, we already have an OSS sponsored image, which was introduced via
KIP-975 (apache/kafka <https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/kafka/tags>) which
comes under The Apache Software Foundation <https://hub.docker.com/u/apache> in
Docker Hub. The new Docker Image is the Docker Official Image (DOI), which
will be built and maintained by Docker Community.

For example, for a release version like 3.8.0 we will have two JVM based
docker images:-

   - apache/kafka:3.8.0 (OSS sponsored image)
   - kafka:3.8.0 (Docker Official image)

I have added the same in the KIP too for everyone's reference.
Thanks,
Krish.