Alex,

The problem is not the use of LATEST (which is indeed deprecated and hopefully
nobody uses it anymore), but the fact that releasing a 9.0.0.Final when the
9.44.0.Final will break maven implicit version numbers ordering and semantic
versioning.

Moreover this will be even more problematic and confusing for users, especially
new ones. How do you choose the version of a dependency that you have to add
for the first time into your project? Personally what I do is going to the
Maven Central Repository Search website, doing a search for the dependency I
need and bringing in the very latest version (unless there are very good
reasons, like a known bug, not to do so). Now if I'd do this exercise with
drools I'd always bring in 9.44 even if there are new versions available (but
with a lower version number).

If you really want a fresh start (and I could agree that it could be a good
idea at this point) then we should skip the 9 at all ( like Windows did so it
could not be THAT bad :) ) and release a 10.0.0.Final.

Mario