I agree with these points. The ec2 support is substantially a separate
project, and would likely be better managed as one. People can much
more rapidly iterate on it and release it.

I suggest:

1. Pick a new repo location. amplab/spark-ec2 ? spark-ec2/spark-ec2 ?
2. Add interested parties as owners/contributors
3. Reassemble a working clone of the current code from spark/ec2 and
mesos/spark-ec2 and check it in
4. Announce the new location on user@, dev@
5. Triage open JIRAs to the new repo's issue tracker and close them elsewhere
6. Remove the old copies of the code and leave a pointer to the new
location in their place

I'd also like to hear a few more nods before pulling the trigger though.