I concur with the things Sean said about keeping the same JIRA.  Frankly,
its a pretty small part of spark, and as mentioned by Nicholas, a reference
implementation of getting Spark running in ec2.

I can see wanting to grow it to a little more general tool that implements
launchers for other compute platforms.  Porting this over to
Google/M$/rackspace offerings would be not too far out of reach.

--Matthew Goodman

=====================
Check Out My Website: http://craneium.net
Find me on LinkedIn: http://tinyurl.com/d6wlch

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Nicholas Chammas <
nicholas.cham...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > At a high level I see the spark-ec2 scripts as an effort to provide a
> reference implementation for launching EC2 clusters with Apache Spark
>
> On a side note, this is precisely how I used spark-ec2 for a personal
> project that does something similar: reference implementation.
>
> Nick
> 2015년 7월 13일 (월) 오후 1:27, Shivaram Venkataraman <
> shiva...@eecs.berkeley.edu>님이 작성:
>
>> I think moving the repo-location and re-organizing the python code to
>> handle dependencies, testing etc. sounds good to me. However, I think there
>> are a couple of things which I am not sure about
>>
>> 1. I strongly believe that we should preserve existing command-line in
>> ec2/spark-ec2 (i.e. the shell script not the python file). This could be a
>> thin wrapper script that just checks out the or downloads something
>> (similar to say build/mvn). Mainly, I see no reason to break the workflow
>> that users are used to right now.
>>
>> 2. I am also not sure about that moving the issue tracker is necessarily
>> a good idea. I don't think we get a large number of issues due to the EC2
>> stuff  and if we do have a workflow for launching EC2 clusters, the Spark
>> JIRA would still be the natural place to report issues related to this.
>>
>> At a high level I see the spark-ec2 scripts as an effort to provide a
>> reference implementation for launching EC2 clusters with Apache Spark --
>> Given this view I am not sure it makes sense to completely decouple this
>> from the Apache project.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Shivaram
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 1:34 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with these points. The ec2 support is substantially a separate
>>> project, and would likely be better managed as one. People can much
>>> more rapidly iterate on it and release it.
>>>
>>> I suggest:
>>>
>>> 1. Pick a new repo location. amplab/spark-ec2 ? spark-ec2/spark-ec2 ?
>>> 2. Add interested parties as owners/contributors
>>> 3. Reassemble a working clone of the current code from spark/ec2 and
>>> mesos/spark-ec2 and check it in
>>> 4. Announce the new location on user@, dev@
>>> 5. Triage open JIRAs to the new repo's issue tracker and close them
>>> elsewhere