The code can continue to be a good reference implementation, no matter
where it lives. In fact, it can be a better more complete one, and
easier to update.

I agree that ec2/ needs to retain some kind of pointer to the new
location. Yes, maybe a script as well that does the checkout as you
say. We have to be careful that the effect here isn't to make people
think this code is still part of the blessed bits of a Spark release,
since it isn't. But I suppose the point is that it isn't quite now
either (isn't tested, isn't fully contained in apache/spark) and
that's what we're fixing.

I still don't like the idea of using the ASF JIRA for Spark to track
issues in a separate project, as these kinds of splits are what we're
trying to get rid of. I think it's a plus to be able to only bother
with the Github PR/issue system, and not parallel JIRAs as well. I
also worry that this blurs the line between code that is formally
tested and blessed in a Spark release, and that which is not. You fix
an issue in this separate repo and marked it "fixed in Spark 1.5" --
what does that imply?

I think the issue is people don't like the sense this is getting
pushed outside the wall, or 'removed' from Spark. On the one hand I
argue it hasn't really properly been part of Spark -- that's why we
need this change to happen. But, I also think this is easy to resolve
other ways: spark-packages.org, the pointer in the repo, prominent
notes in the wiki, etc.

I suggest Shivaram owns this, and that amplab/spark-ec2 is used to
host? I'm not qualified to help make the new copy or repo admin but
would be happy to help with the rest, like triaging, if you can give
me rights to open issues.