I'd be okay skipping the HiveCompatibilitySuite for core-only changes.
They do often catch bugs in changes to catalyst or sql though.  Same for
HashJoinCompatibilitySuite/VersionsSuite.

HiveSparkSubmitSuite/CliSuite should probably stay, as they do test things
like addJar that have been broken by core in the past.