I chatted with Patrick briefly offline. It would be interesting to
know whether the scripts have some way of saying "run a smaller
version of certain tests" (e.g. by setting a system property that the
tests look at to decide what to run). That way, if there are no
changes under sql/, we could still run a small part of
HiveCompatibilitySuite, just not all of it. The reasoning being that
if a core change breaks something in Hive, it will probably break many
tests, not a specific one.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Michael Armbrust
<mich...@databricks.com> wrote:
> I'd be okay skipping the HiveCompatibilitySuite for core-only changes.  They
> do often catch bugs in changes to catalyst or sql though.  Same for
> HashJoinCompatibilitySuite/VersionsSuite.
>
> HiveSparkSubmitSuite/CliSuite should probably stay, as they do test things
> like addJar that have been broken by core in the past.
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is already code in place that restricts which tests run
>> depending on which code is modified. However, changes inside of
>> Spark's core currently require running all dependent tests. If you
>> have some ideas about how to improve that heuristic, it would be
>> great.
>>
>> - Patrick
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello y'all,
>> >
>> > So I've been getting kinda annoyed with how many PR tests have been
>> > timing out. I took one of the logs from one of my PRs and started to
>> > do some crunching on the data from the output, and here's a list of
>> > the 5 slowest suites:
>> >
>> > 307.14s HiveSparkSubmitSuite
>> > 382.641s VersionsSuite
>> > 398s CliSuite
>> > 410.52s HashJoinCompatibilitySuite
>> > 2508.61s HiveCompatibilitySuite
>> >
>> > Looking at those, I'm not surprised at all that we see so many
>> > timeouts. Is there any ongoing effort to trim down those tests
>> > (especially HiveCompatibilitySuite) or somehow restrict when they're
>> > run?
>> >
>> > Almost 1 hour to run a single test suite that affects a rather
>> > isolated part of the code base looks a little excessive to me.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Marcelo

Marcelo