On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would push back slightly. The reason we have the PR builds taking so
> long is death by a million small things that we add. Doing a full 2.11
> compile is order minutes... it's a nontrivial increase to the build times.

We can host the build if there's a way to post back a comment when the
build is broken.

> It doesn't seem that bad to me to go back post-hoc once in a while and fix
> 2.11 bugs when they come up. It's on the order of once or twice per release
> and the typesafe guys keep a close eye on it (thanks!). Compare that to
> literally thousands of PR runs and a few minutes every time, IMO it's not
> worth it.

Anything that can be done by a machine should be done by a machine. I am
not sure we have enough data to say it's only once or twice per release,
and even if we were to issue a PR for each breakage, it's additional load
on committers and reviewers, not to mention our own work. I personally
don't see how 2-3 minutes of compute time per PR can justify hours of work
plus reviews.

iulian

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Hari Shreedharan <
> hshreedha...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> +1, much better than having a new PR each time to fix something for
>> scala-2.11 every time a patch breaks it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hari Shreedharan
>>

>> On Oct 9, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> How about just fixing the warning? I get it; it doesn't stop this from
>>> happening again, but still seems less drastic than tossing out the
>>> whole mechanism.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> It also does not seem that expensive to test only compilation for Scala
>> 2.11 on PR builds.

Iulian Dragos

------
Reactive Apps on the JVM