I have worked with various ASF projects for 4+ years now. Sure, ASF
projects can delete code as they feel fit. But this is the first time I
have really seen code being "moved out" of a project without discussion. I
am sure you can do this without violating ASF policy, but the explanation
for that would be convoluted (someone decided to make a copy and then the
ASF project deleted it?).

Also, moving the code out would break compatibility. AFAIK, there is no way
to push org.apache.* artifacts directly to maven central. That happens via
mirroring from the ASF maven repos. Even if it you could somehow directly
push the artifacts to mvn, you really can push to org.apache.* groups only
if you are part of the repo and acting as an agent of that project (which
in this case would be Apache Spark). Once you move the code out, even a
committer/PMC member would not be representing the ASF when pushing the
code. I am not sure if there is a way to fix this issue.

Thanks,
Hari