On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Evan Chan <velvia.git...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Sorry to join the discussion late.  I had a look at the design doc
> earlier in this thread, and it was not mentioned what types of
> projects are the targets of this new "spark extras" ASF umbrella....
>
> Is the desire to have a maintained set of spark-related projects that
> keep pace with the main Spark development schedule?  Is it just for
> streaming connectors?  what about data sources, and other important
> projects in the Spark ecosystem?

The proposal draft below has some more details on what type of projects,
but in summary, "Spark-Extras" would be a good place for any of these
components you mentioned.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zRFGG4414LhbKlGbYncZ13nyX34Rw4sfWhZRA5YBtIE/edit?usp=sharing

> I'm worried that this would relegate spark-packages to third tier
> status,

Owen answered a similar question about spark-packages earlier on this
thread, but while "Spark-Extras" would a place in Apache for collaboration
on the development of these extensions, they might still be published to
spark-packages as they existing streaming connectors are today.

> and the promotion of a select set of committers, and the
> project itself, to top level ASF status (a la Arrow) would create a
> further split in the community.

As for the select set of committers, we have invited all Spark committers
to be committers on the project, and I have updated the project proposal
with the existing set of active Spark committers ( that have committed in
the last one year)

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975