I personally find it disappointing that a big chuck of Spark's design and
development is happening behind closed curtains. It makes it harder than
necessary for me to work with Spark. We had to improvise in the recent
weeks a temporary solution for reading from Kafka (from Structured
Streaming) to unblock our development, and I feed that if the design and
development of that feature was done in the open, it would have saved us a
lot of hassle (and would reduce the refactoring of our code base).

It hard not compare it to other Apache projects - for example, I believe
most of the Apache Kafka full-time contributors work at a single company,
but they manage as a community to have a very transparent design and
development process, which seems to work great.

Ofir Manor

Co-Founder & CTO | Equalum

Mobile: +972-54-7801286 | Email: ofir.ma...@equalum.io