Not that I wouldn't rather have more open communication around this
issue...but what are people actually expecting to get out of
structured streaming with regard to Kafka?

There aren't any realistic pushdown-type optimizations available, and
from what I could tell the last time I looked at structured streaming,
resolving the event time vs processing time issue was still a ways
off.