The SparkR support PR includes integration testing that can be tested on a
local Minikube instance by merely running the distribution with appropriate
flags (--r) and running the integration-tests similarly to as you would on
any k8s test. Maybe some others could locally test this, if there is any
hesitation. I, for one, don't see a problem with merging as is and having
the Jenkins build be configured for R distribution support via the Ubuntu
update when Shane gets to it, similar to as we did for PySpark. The PR can
be found here <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/21584>.

Furthermore, I am wondering if there is any desire to ensure SparkR support
(for k8s) is merged by 2.4 by the community, and if so, then maybe merging
this without the Jenkins build seems even more appropriate.

Best,
Ilan Filonenko