Rick Reumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Kienenberger wrote the following on 9/17/2004 2:17 PM:
> > Any time you allow an end user an opportunity to specify a parameter for

> > reflection, you're introducing security concerns.
> > However, a "secure" version could be created by only allowing a dispatch
> > a hardcoded list of methods.
>
> But your approach to encoding could do the same thing for a dispatch
> param so I'm not certain that using an Action vs DispatchAction is any
> more secure.

I must not be understanding you.

If you have url of "/page&method=X" and use reflection to resolve X, then
you have far less control than if you simply check to see if "X" is in your
list of approved methods.

On the other hand, a pure action with /page&SaveButtonName=ButtonValue is
always going to go to my save code if the "SaveButtonName" parameter exists,
and it'll go to my default code if not.   There's no other option.  That's
as secure as it gets.

On the other hand, if you're just saying that you can encode your reflection
dispatch name so that "/page&method=X" becomes "/a1b2c3d4e5.psc", you've
just made the security more obscure.  If someone figures out your encoding,
they can still bypass it.

The first rule of computer security programming is never trust user data.
Let users specify indexes of items in lists, never the item values
themselves.