On 4/28/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 4/28/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I went through every open bug ticket last night, and out of them all,
> there only a handful outstanding, and none that are serious; again, why
> I think this is a beta release.

I added a "Struts Action 1" filter to list all the open bugs against
SAF1, which comes up with thirty issues. I agree that not all of these
need to be handled by the 1.3.2 release plan, but it would be help to
itemize the open tickets, so that we know what is not being handled
and why.

> Perhaps we need a better definition of quality, because to me, beta
> means there are some minor issues, but the code works, the examples
> work, and you could start using it in a development environment without
> problems.

To me, a Beta means that if it works for more people, we could upgrade
it to GA.

No, that is a release candidate. Our Test Build is always a release
candidate, in effect, because since we don't vote until after it's built,
there is always a possibility that it could become GA. (Not counting the
cases where we know up front that it's not good enough, of course.)

--
Martin Cooper

The JIRA issues aside, I could never vote this release to GA since
some of the documentation is already obsolete.

But, that's OK. I'm not the only one with a vote, and no one can veto
a release :)

> Don
>
> Ted Husted wrote:
> > +1 Alpha
> >
> > As Don mentioned, some of the documenation is patchy. There are things
> > like references to Bugzilla. The links to the "Components", like
> > Extras, need to be fleshed out, the "Core" link is useless, and we
> > need some introductory text for Taglibs.
> >
> > I might have some time to work on this Monday afternoon, if no one
> > beats me to it.
> >
> >> There are a few outstanding bugs in JIRA that should be addressed in
> >> the next release.
> >
> > Could you add the bugs you have in mind to the 1.3.2 release plan as
> > "known issues"? Or, start a 1.3.3 plan that itemizes these. There are
> > 28 open bugs in JIRA now, though I think some of these could be
> > reclassified. But at first glance, 28 is 28 too many for anything
> > except an Alpha :)
> >
> > -Ted.
> >
> > On 4/27/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> The first Action 1 release since the recent reorganization, we have a
> >> Struts Action Framework 1.3.2 build to evaluate for release quality.
> >> The release plan is available on the wiki:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsActionRelease132
> >> <http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ShaleRelease102>
> >>
> >> the Struts Action Framework v1.3.2 test build has been completed and
> >> deployed to
> >>
> >>  http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/action/v1.3.2
> >> <http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/shale/v1.0.2/>
> >>
> >> In my testing, I found the following issues:
> >>  1. Struts faces example webapps both don't work
> >>  2. Taglib integration tests don't work
> >>
> >> Otherwise, all the example applications worked correctly.
> >>
> >> Once you have had a chance to review this test build, please respond
> >> with a vote on its quality:
> >>
> >> [ ] Alpha
> >> [ ] Beta
> >> [ ] General Availability (GA)
> >>
> >> We welcome votes from all community members, however, only the votes
> >> of Struts PMC members are binding.
> >>
> >> My vote is for Beta quality, as there are no unreleased dependencies,
> >> all the key example apps work correctly, and I've personally had the
> >> 1.3.x code in production for over six months without any
problems.  Only
> >> Beta because the docs need work and there are a few outstanding bugs
in
> >> JIRA that should be addressed in the next release.

> > --
> > HTH, Ted.
> > ** http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/

HTH, Ted.