On 5/11/06, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have taken some time to check out the 1.3.4 version today -
upgrading my webapp to this version (was on 1.2.9) and the only other
issue(s) I came up with is that we used to distribute things like the
validator-rules.xml config and taglib tlds in the lib directory. I
releaize that these are now all packaged in the jar and the distro
does include the source - but I expect quite a few people will still
have these manually configured and will have difficulty finding them
in the distro.

First, thank you for taking the time to review 1.3.4.  I really appreciate it.

I thought about including those resources, and decided against it.
They were not in the 1.3.0 'lib' distribution, either.  I'm willing to
answer the questions on the user list, and I think we should encourage
people to configure their apps to use the latest versions of the
resources that we've provided in the jar files.

Since we now require Servlet 2.3, there's little reason to configure
tlds in web.xml, and there's no reason to keep a copy of
validator-rules.xml in WEB-INF when it can be loaded from
struts-core.jar.

We can include them in 'lib' in the next distribution if more people
disagree.  (But as you pointed out, they are included with the
source.)

Also the new chain-config.xml - which any tiles user (like myself)
needs to be readily available so that the tiles commands can be added.
Again its difficult to find the chain-config.xml and it seems that the
*commented out* tiles commands have been removed. We should make it
easy to find the chain-config.xml and easy to configure for tiles (by
adding back the commented commands).

The easiest way to configure for Tiles is to use the chain config file
that we provide in struts-tiles.jar.  I don't think users should be
encouraged to edit the default chain config file to add Tiles
commands, but we could add a comment with an example of configuring
oas/tiles/chain-config.xml.

It's on the upgrade Wiki page (section 4.1).  Does it need to be more prominent?
* http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13

My guess is that most Tiles users will still have the old
TilesRequestProcessor configured, I know it took me a while to figure
out why the ComposableRequestProcessor wasn't being used!

Don wrote:
I think we should adjust any documentation to only mention the 1.1 DTD, and
perhaps add the 1.3 DTD information as an errata.

It's the other way around:  only the Struts Tiles 1.3 DTD is
registered, so it's the one that should be documented.

--
Wendy