At 10:50 AM -0700 5/11/06, Michael Jouravlev wrote:
I think it is much cleaner to have DTDs and other default XML files in
the JAR, but sometimes it might not work.

The hosting that I use for the samples, uses Tomcat 4.x, which
supposedly should support SRV 2.3 and therefore it should be able to
pull DTDs from classpath. Yet, this does not work, I don't know
exactly why. But if I put DTD files into lib directory and configure
them in web.xml then everything works fine.

Do you deploy your webapps as WARs? We often find ourselves bumping up against something when we need to read classpath resources from a JAR within another JAR; in fact, this is why we don't deploy webapps as WARs, and we've also had similar problems with the classworlds "uberjar" mechanism which makes JARs for standalone execution along a model similar to WARs.

Has anyone ever seen formal documentation of this issue? We've always just worked around it.

The bottom line, it is better to hide DTDs in the JAR, but in case it
does not work a readily available HOW-TO should be provided.

Indeed.
--
Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://blog.germuska.com