On 5/17/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd guess 90+% of other open source projects seem to do just fine
doing all the testing and voting before the release.

I'm not aware of any project, open or closed source, that only issues
"stable" or "GA" releases without issuing any type of beta or
release-candidate first.

The process is suppose to be that we release the distribution as an
Alpha or Beta Release first, and then, based on feedback from the rest
of the users, decide whether to promote it to GA.

In this particular case, we are not distributing the 1.3.4 Beta
because of the DTD issue. Otherwise, it would already be mirrored,
announced, and linked on the downloads page, just like the Shale
Alpha.

We do *not* need a GA designation to announce and distribute a release.

I understand the
concern of screwing things up from a release manager standpoint, but
that tells me we need better tests, a more automatic Maven build, etc.
 We don't require reviews after every commits because we trust the
committer.  Releases should be braindead easy. If they were, and
everyone had tested the code beforehand and given their thumbs up, a
release should be basically automatic, something we can trust to
another committer without looking over their shoulder.

Ok, so if you don't think this is the answer to the backwards release
then test problem, what is?

The release process isn't backward. It's the same process that Tomcat,
HTTPD,  MySQL, and many other teams uses. We issue a milestone and
then decide if it's an Alpha or a Beta. We let the rest of the world
test it, and if it gets the thumbs up, we promote it to GA, without
re-rolling or re-naming the distribution. No fuss, no muss.

If the codebase is stable, as it has been with Struts 1.2 lately, then
we might skip straight to GA, but only because we already have other
releases under our belt. Struts 1.2.x went through had both a "test
build" and a Beta before we hit GA in 1.2.2.