> On 30 October 2016 at 01:26, Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> > 1) Both dnf and GNOME Software / PackageKit default to performing
> > fairly data-hungry transactions in the background, out of the box,
> > without telling you about it. GNOME's is particularly bad, as it will
> > happily download available updates in the background, which can be
> > gigabytes worth of data.
>
> If you're on an "unmetered" connection type...

This can be problematic even on an unmetered connection. An anecdotal
experience: A few months back I was on a hotel wifi, I vitally needed some
information quick, and the wifi simply didn't work - all web pages timed out. I
was very disgruntled about a crappy hotel wifi (that used to work the day
before), when in 5-10 minutes, I saw "Your updates were downloaded and are
ready to install" popup. Then I realized... tried the web browser and web pages
loaded normally. The wifi connection was so slow that while PackageKit was
downloading updates in the background, I couldn't access the web at all.

My poor experience stemmed from:
a) not being informed that updates were being downloaded in the background - so
I assumed the problem was elsewhere
b) not being able to pause/abort background downloads - even if I had
realized/figured out PackageKit was hogging the network, there'd have been no
way to stop the downloads (certainly no user accessible one, and even when I
tried to kill the process some time in the past, it just kept respawning)

You can disregard this as a "slow hotel wifi problem only", but I live in a
block of flats, the air is jammed with 20-30 wifi networks all around me, and I
experience a similar situation (though not that severe) from time to time even
at my home, a few meters from the AP - one full speed download can completely
kill any other (my own) network traffic. Again, this would not be a problem if
I a) knew about it b) could stop it.