On 10/22/20 7:00 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 02:27:13PM +0200, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> this is the informational message, no action required.
>>
>> Upon agreement between gcc maintainers and ELN SIG we would like to
>> switch ELN buildroot to use GCC11 ahead of Fedora Rawhide.
>>
>> Though ELN is defined as the buildroot where Fedora Rawhide code is
>> rebuilt into EL-like environment, in the ELN proposal we also
>> mentioned that ELN can be used to test certain buildroot-related
>> features on the side so it doesn't block Fedora Rawhide development.
>>
>> We think that GCC11 is one such feature, where we can benefit from
>> testing it first on a small subset of the Fedora content in a separate
>> environment.
> I'm not very enthusiastic about this change.
>
> Fedora maintainers can largely ignore ELN right now, because if stuff
> works in rawhide, it will generally work in ELN, and someone else is
> taking care of ELN builds.
>
> New GCC releases almost always trigger new compile warnings or bugs
> in code. So by pushing GCC 11 into ELN, it feels like we're making
> it much more likely that ELN builds will fail, and now Fedora
> maintainers have to debug ELN specific problems that won't reproduce
> in rawhide branches :-(

True, but the GCC team (me in particular) have already been building
rawhide with gcc-11 snapshots and fixing these issues.

I do think we need to make it easier for a Fedora package maintainer to
get the gcc-11 bits so that if there's a need to debug a bad interaction
between gcc-11 and a package they can.

jeff