On 10/23/20 10:52 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 10:37:29AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
But I very much agree that GCC should be moving into rawhide earlier
than has been done in the past.  In an ideal world it would have gone in
just after F33 branched and updated regularly.

Big +1 on that.

Right after branching rawhide tends to be relatively quiet as the just
branched version gets most of the attention, so any mishaps are fairly
contained and cause minimal disruption, but there's always enough going on
that you do get plenty of testing. And when the general focus starts
shifting back to rawhide and the next release, the worst initial kinks have
already been worked out.

That's how we try to land new rpm versions too, and it has proven to work
very well for all parties AFAICS. And whenever we miss that slot, there's
pain, suffering and lots of unnecessary stress.

The thing is that GCC is a moving target at that point, while you can fix up
packages to deal with GCC at certain date, in a week or two you might need
to do it again, or there could be ABI changes etc.
Which is why I'm suggesting at least end of GCC stage1, which still doesn't
guarantee any of that, at least major new features shouldn't be making it in
(unless they were posted already before that), and people start focusing on
fixing bugs (some bugs are fixed continually, but a concerted effort to fix
bugs starts at end of stage1).

Oh, I didn't mean throwing a random development snapshot into rawhide, that's not what we do with rpm either. We start with an alpha which based on the above means roughly similar things as your stage1, and then work through beta and rc(s) to final. Of course it requires aligning the release cycles to Fedora cycles to a large degree, but at least for us it has been well worth it.

        - Panu -