Hello!

st 9. 12. 2020 v 12:35 odesílatel Jaroslav Prokop <jar.pro...@volny.cz>
napsal:

> Hello,
>
> On 09/12/2020 12:12, Christoph Karl wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On 09.12.20 04:26, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> >> How does this (https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/
> )
> >> affect Fedora?
> >
> > I think Fedora now needs some kind of LTS.
> > At least I was planning to support CentOS via EPEL as
> > a kind of "Fedora LTS".
>
> If I remember correctly and not making it up there was a discussion some
> years back about Fedora LTS.
> I think it was dismissed because we had CentOS providing LTS stability.
> But now it does not seem like
> we can rely on long term stability. Maybe it's time to revive that
> discussion?

Maybe the community can use CentOS Stream as a base for some kind of LTS
distro.

> I am starting to get really confused on Fedora's position here. Are we
> anywhere in the pipeline?

RHEL/CentOS Stream is branched out of Fedora.

RHEL and CentOS Stream have a much closer relationship. Someone put it very
nicely: RHEL minor versions are branched off CentOS Stream every 6 months.
It's a bit of oversimplification but it very nicely describes how tight
their relationship is. On the other hand, RHEL/CentOS Stream is branched
off Fedora every 3 years. There's much bigger space for a deviation between
them.

Are we prelude for software before it gets on CentOS streams or maybe
> testing grounds for
> RHEL if something got proved on the ground of CentsOS streams?

Cheers,

Ondřej