Hi,

Am 15.08.22 um 13:58 schrieb Stephen Smoogen:

I don't know of an Operating System which isn't a rolling operating system which works this way. MacOS, Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora all require a manual clickthru to get to the 'next' version which is available. This is because these updates are the most likely to fail and you need to usually put the system in a 'do not touch, alter, etc.' while this is going on. It is also most likely that the failure state is 'broken, reinstall.' or 'I need to change a lot of different things on here and you need to actually know what they do when I ask if you still want this'.

small report on the "should work" statement:

My daily used DesktopPC got installed as a Fedora 15 and is updated/upgraded with dnf every 6 months since.

Result: fully working Fedora with Ext4FS  and "next to no" issues on the way. I used the second cycle, means I upgrade from 34 to 35 if 36 gets released.
This helps a lot with upgrade issues.

"Next to no" means concrete:

it started after every upgrade
some minor updates in global configs had to be corrected once in a while (usual work after a major version change of an app) had to install some "old" apps after they got auto-cleaned, but thats special software and only once in a while.

In the end, if you don't upgrade to the "latest" stable version of Fedora, you can expect to have a working system on every upgrade.

Best regards,
Marius Schwarz