On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 at 09:38, Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 15. 08. 22 v 13:58 Stephen Smoogen napsal(a):
>

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 at 04:21, Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I just wonder, is the system upgrade to the more recent Fedora
>> automatic? I suspect that the answer is *no*, otherwise I would not need
>> yesterday to update the system from F33 (I am rawhide user, so pardon my
>> ignorance).
>>
>> Therefore my question is, can it be automatic? Is it configurable?
>>

> It is not automatic nor is it configurable. Upgrades mostly work most of
> the time.. (maybe 80% of the time without any post intervention). But there
> are a lot of corner cases which require manual fixing for some reason or
> another.
>

>> Just FTR, the computer in question was my sister's computer and her
>> expectation was that the system would be automatically upgraded
>> similarly to other updates, where she is asked to apply the updates
>> prior shutdown. It never occurred to her that she would need to click on
>> something and I think that is fair expectation. I don't think that
>> Fedora should allow to keep the system outdated and without updates.
>>

> I don't know of an Operating System which isn't a rolling operating system
> which works this way. MacOS, Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora all require a
> manual clickthru to get to the 'next' version which is available. This is
> because these updates are the most likely to fail and you need to usually
> put the system in a 'do not touch, alter, etc.' while this is going on. It
> is also most likely that the failure state is 'broken, reinstall.' or 'I
> need to change a lot of different things on here and you need to actually
> know what they do when I ask if you still want this'.
>
> I think for Fedora 34 and beyond, the user will now get a big banner on
> Workstation saying 'A new version of the operating system is ready for you'
> which will require them to click that they want to upgrade to it. That is
> about as easy as I can see it happening.
>

> Yes, that is fine. But at the same time, there is no warning like "Your
> system won't be provided with updates anymore, because it is EOL" followed
> up with "While there is new version available, your system is too old to be
> upgraded, because we removed some metadata somewhere" in a while.
>
> Just FTR, the update file with this unhelpfule message:
>

> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf-plugins-extras/blob/cef43db2014673c528a2f13eaf1c72ecef5f0734/plugins/system_upgrade.py#L534
>
> IOW I think it is far from being clear what will happen if the system is
> not updated.

I am not in disagreement on this. In previous conversations on this list
about upgrades it has been listed as not something to focus resources on
beyond what has been done by the desktop team already. I am not in
agreement on those decisions, but the status quo has been for the last
decade "caveat upgrador". Making it less of that is going to take a lot of
dedicated resources because there are a lot of small niggles which show up
on upgrades which most people on this list 'fix and forget' because 'oh it
was just a little thing.. not worth filing a bug or fixing' or 'if you
can't fix this yourself, you shouldn't be using a computer' (I don't agree
at all with that statement but it is one that people have, and it is
negative energy to make upgrades a priority.)

> And BTW I am quite sure that Windows since Windows 7 -> 8 are quite
> suggestive with system upgrades. So while one have to click on button
> confirming the agreement, most will probably do to avoid the annoyance.

Upgrades from 7 to 8 required you to buy 8. It wasn't free. The only 'free'
upgrades that  Microsoft did was various OS's to 10 and some limited amount
of 10->11 (if you bought your system before X date and it had Y hardware).

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.