On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 12:07 PM Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:

> So, I will say this is kind of a peeve of mine about server-based
> discussion systems (whether web or client like Slack/Discord): allowing
> people to edit messages, especially after people have replied to them,
> is a bad idea.  Person 1 says "we should do XYZ", somebody replies "no
> XYZ is bad", and person 1 can go change their original message to say
> something completely different.
>
> It kind of goes back to who "owns" (and I don't mean in the legal sense)
> the content.  When the content is held on a server, the server owner has
> an editorial control that can be problematic.
>
> Fixing typos sounds nice, but... just don't make typos, or proofread. :)
> --
> Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>

Usually when people edit messages there's a notation that it was edited.
Some even note the number of times something has been edited, and by
whom, including when mods/admin edit it.  I forget what options discourse
has for that.  But also, when you are quoting someone on a forum, if they
it auto-updated the quote replies.  So the person's original message will
still show, however that does cause a bit of confusion when a new reader
comes to the thread and sees a quote that doesn't match what they see in
that person's post.  There was a forum somewhere that the edit message
would say "This post was edited by ${user} after replies by ${user2},
${user3}, ${user4}" which helped eliminate that... but I believe that may
have been something custom that the admin put in place.
Also there's usually a time limit in place for edits... I've seen it as low
as 30 seconds on some forums which negates some of this issue.