On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:07:16AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> said:
> > * also, to fix typos :)
>
> So, I will say this is kind of a peeve of mine about server-based
> discussion systems (whether web or client like Slack/Discord): allowing
> people to edit messages, especially after people have replied to them,
> is a bad idea.  Person 1 says "we should do XYZ", somebody replies "no
> XYZ is bad", and person 1 can go change their original message to say
> something completely different.

Sure that is possible, but lets not assume nor optimize for malicious
engagement. We should be optimizing for honest engagement because our
contributors are decent people. The vast majority of the time when
people go back to edit messages it will be to correct mistakes/typos,
or syntax errors in formatting text, and so a clear benefit.

In the unlikely / rare event that someone did maliciously change the
original message for some nefarious reason, other users can call them
out, and in the worst case moderators could take action. I very much
doubt that would happen enough to be a problem worth worrying about
in a constructive community environment like Fedora.

With regards,
Daniel