On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 3:39 PM Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 4:05 PM Maxwell G <maxw...@gtmx.me> wrote:
> >
> > What evidence shows that the group is ever shrinking? I often see Self
> > Introduction posts and new people interacting with project. I suppose
> > that whether they continue interacting afterwards is another question.
>
> I'm glad you asked. Earlier this week I decided to avoid doing other
> work by putting together some quick charts of devel list
> participation. Here's the number of unique participants per month from
> 2004–2022:
> https://bcotton.fedorapeople.org/images/devel-participation-monthly.png
>
> And for a less-noisy version, the median of the monthly numbers per year:
> https://bcotton.fedorapeople.org/images/devel-participation-mean.png

And on discourse you could have pasted these pictures directly in without
having to upload them somewhere... ;)

> There are a lot of questions left unanswered by this quick analysis,
> but there's a clear trend in fewer participants over time. In fact,
> last month had the second smallest participant count (tied with
> October 2022). Of course, these charts don't show _why_, but they do
> support the assertion that folks are dropping out of the conversation
> faster than others are joining.

I think this is especially concerning because Fedora seems to be more
popular than ever. If we had a way to measure that and include it in the
graph (devel participants as a % of users?) I have a feeling the slope
would be much more negative.

Not that it proves Discourse would change that, but still...

Thanks,
Richard