On 4/21/23 18:55, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> writes:

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 08:45:31AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
I will just make the point that, when you make this switch, you will be
missing people as well.  Projects that switch to forum systems, to a
great extent, go dark for people who aren't immersed in them all the
time.  Keeping up with fedora-devel takes very little of my time;
keeping up with Discourse instances is a much slower affair.

What could we do to make that easier for you?

A decent NNTP feed (or set of feeds) would be wonderful :)

If there will be a switch to a web based forum, I will be one of the
subscribers that will be lost.
Not sure if anybody cares, but I'm pointing it out since the proposal
aims at having more participants.
I've subscribed on 24/12/2005 and all the emails are in my IMAP
server, and accessed with Thunderbird.

Honestly, the NNTP feed is exactly what I would have answered too.

I understand the world changes, and the attraction of avatars,
and emojis powered by piles of javascript is unstoppable
to some people.
But from a marketing point of view it might not be the right
direction: Fedora is an old-style technical thing, there is
no point in chasing Ubuntu, everybody liking that kind of world
will surely prefer the original.

Last but not least, mailing lists are one of the ways we can try
keeping email service decently available to everybody, resisting
the trend to let only a few companies be "senders", so either
you write from gmail to gmail or you have to buy a "mail sending"
service to have your mails accepted by receivers.
It is bad enough already.

Regards.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it