I do have some concerns that would have been addressed by Bonnie's
strictures.

One, can everyone watching a waterfall display recognize a weak
Federal SSB or digital signal trying to claim the frequency?

Two, there are no restrictions on automatic stations.  It looks to me
like auto stations less than 500 Hz in width can use these frequencies
also.  It is unclear to me whether auto stations can meet the
requirements.  The classic winlink 2K scenario where a client fires up
a PMBO station that inteferes with an Federal emergency conversation
comes to mind as a perfect example.  It would have been nice to see
the ARRL address this issue directly in the regulations.

The proposed rules don't address the how Federal stations will claim
the frequency so that all hams know what and how to monitor when using
disparate modes.  If you start a pactor session, how does a Federal
station break in?  How does a CW qso know a Federal SSB is trying to
claim the freq?  You sholdn't just assume its another ham running SSB.

It seems to me that it should be a requirement for amateur control
operators to be able to recognize and immediately decode USB signals
to insure that a SSB signal on the frequency IS NOT a Federal station
before continuing.  To do otherwise will ultimately result in a
harmful interference  or failure to relinquish claim by Federal users.
 Maybe not today or tommorrow but sometime in future it will happen
and an emergency situation is by far the worst time to recognize that
not everything was set up properly.

At the same time, Federal users should know exactly what is required
to claim the frequency, i.e. that a call in USB will be recognized by
all hams rather than coming on frequency with a mil spec modem and
making a data call.  When sharing spectrum it only prudent that both
sides know exactly what the "claiming" method will be so that there
are no misunderstandings.  Monitoring and decoding the "claiming" mode
should become standard operating procedure for hams to insure it is
done properly each and every time.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would certainly support that.  Especially if we are given digital mode
> capability on one or more channels.  I would assume that means that more
> than one signal can come up on a channel, with, for instance, PSK.
I have
> monitored those channels several times, and yet to hear anyone on
them at
> times I have listened.  I did have my TS570s expanded, so I can
transmit.
> But, due to low useage around here, I havent bothered to build an
antenna
> for it.  So the minute they approve this, I will be there with bells on.
>
> Danny Douglas N7DC
> ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
> SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
> DX 2-6 years each.