Well, I do not have a distinct characterization of Olivia submodes.
8/500 seems to be fair enough, not too greedy on bandwidth and works
where other modes (not Olivia) fail.

I have used the most common available on MultiPSK, that is, 8/250,
8/500, and 16/500. Ocassionally, 32/1000, or even 2/125 on a couple of
QSO's using MixW. I felt 2/125 a bit better than RTTY, but made no
serious comparisons, and I feel (maybe a bit of a gut feeling) that
Olivia with just two tones defeats most of its adventages.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

---

Rick wrote:

> Have you found particular combinations of Olivia BW and tones that seem
> to work the best for various conditions?
>
> My frustration with Olivia is that it is impractically slow for keyboard
> chats unless you use the higher baud speeds to get the wpm to at least
> 30 wpm. But then it does not seem to work as well.
>
> But if the choice was some communication instead of no communication,
> there would be times that it would be a good choice. My main interest is
> in using sound card modes that work well for emergency communication
> with lower power and lesser quality antennas, particularly on HF NVIS.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>
> Jose Amador wrote:
>> As all differentially encoded modulations, it has a price, in the form
>> of burst errors following a wrong bit.
>>
>> For me, Olivia is far better than any Domino EX modes, including  Domino
>> with FEC.With FEC it is more robust,
>> but becomes slower than Olivia, without reaching the same degree of
>> robustness. It is my impression with actual
>> tests on the air.

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu