There is the DSTAR network that is Internet linked as well as IRLP and
Echolink. All the above more portable than an NVIS set up. Don't get  me
wrong NVIS is a good use of frequencies and well proven but if data is
being passed, the other solutions are more efficient. As always
different situations require different solutions.