Hate to tell you but some of us cranky, bitter, and rude (old) men
have simply been there and done that.  You just don't want to hear
that.  For example, do you think a permanently installed "ham" antenna
is going to survive on a roof top when all other commercial grade
antennas have been destroyed?  Part of our ability to do emcomm is
using our OWN equipment in a portable fashion to replace that which
has been destroyed.  The other part is the geographic spread of hams
in a location.  It makes what gets destroyed somewhat random.  Relying
on prepositioned equipment is no better than public safety doing the
same.

Some of us are trying to point out that if you want to be a pro, then
stand up and be one.  Don't just recommend ham radio as the salvation.
 Have you or others ever recommended that a hospital invest in a
commercial system for communications backup rather than amateur radio
and then helped them take bids and supervise the installation?  Do you
look at public safety radio equipment first and ham radio last for
backup purposes?  Have you ever told the ARC or SA they should include
commercial radios in their shelter standard inventory?  Something
simple that a REACT person could set up.  That way when you've moved
out of state for your job, Tom has a new wife and twins, Joe is laid
up from a job accident, and Bill simply can't get there they have a
communications system independent of ham radio volunteers.

These are all issues some of have dealt with and have experience in.
Some of us have lost our predilection with being ham-centric in all
things radio related.

Jim
WA0LYK