Hi Jim,

One of the "prime directives" of the ARECC Courses is that you and your
family and their safety come first before others. That group was
violating basic common sense and emergency recommendations that have
been developed over a long time. You don't want someone distracted with
personal issues in such an environment. Those of us who have served in
the military did enough of that!

We do have some very peculiar people these days in leadership positions
of various emergency groups who act very elitist and who claim that only
hams trained by them or who have taken extensive courses are of much
value. Needless to say, most of us know this is absurd since most of the
skills can be learned on the job. I have been surprised how poorly some
of the "trained" hams compared at times to those who had more practical
knowledge.

This does not mean I do not recommend training. I have taken several of
the FEMA courses and all three of the ARRL ARECC Level courses. The FEMA
courses are of very limited value for most of us. It does not hurt to
have an overall understanding of the naming conventions of the different
levels and the various horizontal positions, but it is very difficult to
even remember the material for the exam. And it does not always match up
with other services, such as the miltary, but it is what they have
decided will be the terminology so we must follow it. The ARRL courses
were fairly good, and there is some leeway in the decision making
processes although I really felt that the material could easily be
compressed into two courses instead of three. I also would like to see
the ARRL material freely available to everyone, just like the FEMA
material is available. I have lobbied my Division Director to do this
without even a response. I know they want the money for the coursework,
but I would never pay for the courses if they had not been subsidized. I
realize that depending upon your ARRL Leadership position, different
Levels are mandatory, but I often wonder if they are having many sign up
for the courses at their own expense. The digital material included in
the course work is helpful although it had not really covered the
transition toward moving digital in the current direction. I could tell
that some of my mentors were not fully supportive of that.

As far as accepting government money, that is something that is not
always easy to come by, but if we can get some grant money, we are more
than willing to make suggestions on how to spend it. The equipment
belongs to government in our case, and that has helped us a great deal
with our repeater which because of its county emergency support, also
has a fabulous location and long term emergency back up power.