Guys,

You both have valid views. Isn't it more that one is mostly discussing
smaller types of disasters, the ones that are the most common, and the
other is discussing much larger scale incidents that rarely happen (but
they do happen and we may wish to consider preparing for them as best we
can)?

Mostly it is a matter of degree. How much infrastructure survived? How
many hams remain in the area and who are not affected by the situation
to the point of not being able to help locally? How bad is the
situation? How many resources is government putting into the area?

In an ideal world, when disasters occur, there will be enough resources
from emergency management to handle any situation. But realistically we
know this is not possible. Therefore, volunteers help to temporarily
alleviate the shortfalls of at least some of the resources. We hams can
lend our assistance to communications shortfalls and even other areas if
we wish to do so.

While most hams do not participate with emegency groups on a regular
basis, my experience has been that many will help the call goes out. It
is a lot to ask someone to do this. We saw that recently with our flood
disaster her in SW Wisconsin this past summer.

There is often a substantial amount of politics involved in any
volunteer activity of this type and it turns off many who would
otherwise be active. This is more true of amateur radio because in order
to be in a leadership position in ARES you must be an ARRL member. That
excludes almost 80% of hams. If they live in a Section with different
emergency groups, they may be able to find their comfort zone with other
groups or agencies. In our Section, we have one amateur radio group,
which is a combined ARES/RACES structure.

On thing I want to reinforce, is that just because you don't totally
agree with each other is no reason to claim that this forum is
"anti-emcomm." Many of us have this as one of our primary interests and
some cases may have been involved in this activity with CAP, MARS, and
ham radio, for many decades.