At 01:14 PM 1/17/2008, Danny wrote:

>Jack. We on the other side see THAT as exactly the problem. Your mailbox
>sits there silent. Somone else gets on the freq and calls it. It comes
>up - and causes interference to someone else that is already using the freq
>(which you would have heard if you were physically sitting there operating).
>The origninal caller to you, because of propagation, did not hear the other
>ongoing QSO- but YOU would have. Therefore it is your transmitter that
>caused the interference. All quite easily taken care of if our software had
>a "busy signal" capability, and simply didnt respond to the other guy, while
>other signals were up and on the air. That software has been written, and
>from my understanding would be made available to the Pactor software people,
>if they would just accept it. If its been done, other software writers can
>do the same.
>
>Your mailbox needs to be controlled by YOU, not the other end, as long as
>there is no "busy signal" detection.
>
>Danny Douglas
>N7DC
>ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
>SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB
>All 2 years or more (except Novice)
>Pls QSL direct, buro, or LOTW preferred,
>I Do not use, but as a courtesy do upload to eQSL for
>those who do.

Well, even IF I am at the keyboard, I do not know IF someone is about
to connect.....until they do. When that happens, do I just switch the
box off? Yep, I could do that and the station at the other end would
scratch his head and wonder what is going on, like he connected and
next minute he is cut off by me. If it was me trying to
connect.....then I would keep trying, just like he would. Looking for
contacts in this hobby, is what its all about.
I mean, this kind of operation was done on HF Packet for many years,
BBSs forwarded on frequencies and everyone simply got along, generally :-)
A busy signal scheme will only work while there is a signal present,
the moment there is a break in the signal being heard, the busy
detect would drop and.....the station would fire up, unless the busy
detect had a timer, which counted x time after loss of heard signal,
before the station transmitted.
Danny, I think you are asking for a perfect solution, when given all
the modes we now have......its a big ask.
Unfortunately, we have to accept some QRM at some time or another and
thats it, in the real world.
I think the Pactor mode has been somewhat "tainted" by the WinLink
wars, to a large degree.
I mean, I could set up a Packet Mailbox and start beaconing, looking
for contacts :-)

73s

Jack VK4JRC