kh6ty wrote:

> A "dual-loop" AGC system may help and some high-end transceivers have this.
>
> 73, Skip KH6TY

Dual loop AGC is a two sided sword. I have come to find better, and not
necessarily easier, to have low noise, low gain stages before the
filters that will not overload so easily.

The TS-520 I used in another contest in 1978 was deafened when a "local"
station, 5 km away turned is beam towards Japan...and over me, on 15
meters. There was nothing I could do, again, in the middle of the
contest, so I had to go back to 20, the next open band.

His ground wave was desensing my front end so badly that it became
useless to attempt to work the weak japanese signals while RF gain was
pumped with his audio. And the attenuator did not solve that issue at all.

Those are things you learn the hard way while contesting. Are you going
to ask a competitor in the heat of a contest to lower his power because
he is deafening you?

73,

Jose