Hi Eric...we have the same problem here in VK....when you buy a computer
you have to take the o/s that they want to load......if you try and buy
one without an o/s you get told in no uncertian terms you cant.....i
have looked into the consumer protection regulations and found that it
may be illegal to force you to buy what you dont want....apparently
there must be choice.....try telling that to a salesman or a store
manager....you get pointed to the door......if i bought a new PC or
Laptop i want it with out an o/s as i would want to load Linux and if
you tell the salesperson that you get a lot of sales tripe that is
usually not true but is fed to them via the Gates  propaganda
machine...you may find a store where a salesperson has tried or uses
Linux and you then get a better hearing but you still may not able to
buy what you want.....
check the consumer regs in your State or Country before you go and buy

73 David VK4BDJ