Hi Eric,

Although many companies are specifying Microsoft XP, I keep wondering
what will happen in June when they are supposedly no longer going to
make this available anymore. As it is they extended the OS sales.

I have been using Vista for not quite a year and have not been running
ham programs on it because I have an XP tower along with the Vista tower
and a KVM switch to make it handy to work on either machine with the
same keyboard, video, and mouse.

Because of your post, I decided that tonight was the time to go ahead
and switch over to the Vista box and see how current ham digital
programs work. Generally, things seem OK with the programs that I
normally run:

Multipsk
Ham Radio Deluxe/Digital Master 780
NBEMS suite with VBdigi/flarq/flLogbook and can run the Sylpheed e-mail
program recommended for this
DXLabs suite with DX Commander (which does the interfacing to the rig
with Multipsk), DXKeeper. Propview, DXView, etc. (not fully tested)
Airlink Express - new program just released and targeted specifically
for Vista but runs OK on XP
Also, not fully tested but seem to work OK:
QForms emergency messaging
EasyPal for SSTV
QWIKPSK

Also can run my regular programs and some interesting ones:
AVG Anti-Virus
Open Office Suite of programs
Media Monkey
Irfanview
Celestia and Stellarium for astronomy
GIMP2 for graphics
Firefox web browser
Thunderbird e-mail

As you can see, most of my general purpose programs are Open Source or
at least freeware and when possible I use those that are available on
Linux or Windows. I do have a dual boot to Linux Kubuntu, which is the
first Linux variant that works reasonably well with my hardware.

But I have not had many problems with most modern programs when using
Vista. Dave Bernstein did discover a serious bug which may be fixed in
SP1. However, Vista has plenty of problems with SP1 and some had trouble
with it so they have backed off. Not sure if it is ready for prime time
yet.

Overall, Vista is a pretty face with superior font rendering when
compared to XP and certainly much better than any of the Linux variants
that just can not yet compete on my equipment (22" Samsung SyncMaster
225BW LCD Monitor). But it simply does not offer much else, other than
some security improvements, some of which are too extreme and quite
unnecessary and annoying.

Some call this program Windows ME2. I won't go that far, as unlike ME,
which was truly unstable, Vista is quite stable and solid for the
average user. Like when was the last time you had a BSOD? I have not had
one for many years, pretty much not since XP. (Can't say that about
Linux which can crash the X windows pretty easily with a bug in PSKmail:(

Vista is VERY easy to reload. I actually dumped Vista last year and
attempted to install Ubuntu Linux but it was just not an adequate OS and
of course can not run most of the high quality ham programs so it is
just not practical to use. So I was pretty concerned when I was forced
to reload Vista and surprisingly it was the easiest modern OS that I
have reloaded from scratch. All the drivers were present on the
reinstall disks you have to make up in advance. This is for an HP
Pavilion a1730n which is a 4400+ AMD chip and 2 Gigs of RAM.

Also, when I bought a low cost USB COM adapter, the driver was already
in Vista while XP required installation of the drivers from a disk.

This may be at least a part of why Vista is a very bloated OS. Even some
of the MS top programmers have admitted it needs trimming. Thus, it
needs tremendous resources to run moderately fast. That means the
fastest possible microprocessor, video, and at least 2 Gig RAM.

MS is running scared on this because sales are terrible. The only way it
would have been adopted is due to it being forced on the users when they
buy the computer. But note that Mac sales are drastically higher and
even Linux is getting some traction here in the developed world. MS is
already talking about Windows 7, which is the replacement for Vista. Can
you imagine that? And that OS is years away by MS's reckoning, thus it
will probably be many years past that date!

Bottom line though: you are going to find it very difficult to buy
anything here in the U.S. other than a Vista machine for a MS OS. It
don't see Mac and Linux as being alternatives if you want to run MS
Windows software as we digital hams want to do since that is the OS that
has the best programs at this time. In some cases, the only software in
certain categories.