John, the outrage over Pactor is not about Pactor, but about unattended,
automatic transmissions on HF that routinely, and unnecessarily, disrupt all
other communications on the frequency. It has nothing to do with the Pactor
mode itself.

NBEMS will often make final delivery of emergency messages over the radio by
Internet email, but NEVER automatically.

On page 80, third paragraph, it says,  "NBEMS requires human beings at
*both* ends of the path - there are *no* automated or semiautomated
operations. Given its narrow bandwidth and the ability of operators to
easily detect other signals and *avoid* causing interference, NBEMS is well
suited for HF use."

NBEMS is also sometimes email over ham radio as well as just text messages
to be delivered by phone or SMS, but it is *not* a gateway to the Internet.
There is *no* automated access to the Internet. There are *no* NBEMS
stations that will automatically transmit at the command of a remote
operator who cannot check for other activity local to the station. Every
transmission, and every handling of an emergency message, has to be done be
a licensed ham operator,  physically present at the station controls, who
may chose either to use the Internet to forward the message or deliver it by
any other means.

73, Skip KH6TY
NBEMS Development Team