Has anyone else tried to characterize the SignaLinkUSB frequency response and S/N properties?

I Have, and, to put it mildly, I'm underwhelmed. Compared to my old homebrew interface combined with an aged SoundBlaster16 PCI it sucks as far as pure data is concerned (I have spectralab dumps to document my statements; if anyone are interested mail me directly)

The real interesting question here is: how important is this in real life? Both interfaces work fine doing everyday PSK31, RTTY, SSTV etc, but how critical does it become when working signals near the detection limit as in WSJT JT65, FSK441 and very weak HF PSK31?

Why not just continue with the old setup? well, my new LapTop doesn't have serial ports and my radio (FT-847) no VOX; I do need more than one Soundcard, and I need something that'll work with Linux. All in all the SignaLinkUSB sounded attractive judged from reviews and blurbs....

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk