On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Peter G. Viscarola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now, in terms of S/N ratio... I find it hard to believe that quieter
> isn't better no matter how you look at it.

But at what point does it become insignificant?  I've heard of people
using low-noise preamps on antennas, but never low-noise audio
amplifiers.  (Is this because we "compress" the signal with the RF and
AF gain controls?)  Is the quest for low noise audio cards the
equivalent of seeking gold-plated, oxygen-free, 10 gauge speaker wire
for our rigs?

This should be a straightforward math question for a rig designer.
But I'm not a rig designer.  Anyone know?