Hi Andy,

I operate 2 meters and 70 cm every day from here in Mount Pleasant. You
really need 14 dBi of antenna gain on 2 meters and 17 dBi on 70 cm to
reach 200 miles on phone if there is no propagation enhancement. A
log-periodic will probably not have enough gain on any one of the bands
it covers. Using DominoEx 4 (not critical for tuning) will get you
farther, but there are not many people to talk to yet. Almost all 2
meter QSO's are on phone, with CW used when phone cannot make it. The
biggest VHF contest of the year is the June VHF QSO Party, June 13 to
June 15, because there is more chance for tropospheric ducting during
the summer. This is the best time to find someone on the air. At other
times, check the APRS propagation map at
http://www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=na  for
propagation in your area. Even if you are not ready for the June
contest, get up whatever you can and you will probably find activity.
The calling frequency for 2 meter phone is 144.2 and for 70 CM phone it
is 432.1.

Most 70cm QSO are coordinated on 2 meters first, so that the beam
heading is already set, so align your 70 cm beam and 2 meter beam
carefully in the same direction. You generally need 3 to 6 dB more gain
on 70cm than you have on 2 meters, but the antennas are 1/3 the size of
a 2 meter antenna, so if the boom lengths are equal, you should be OK.

Check out my FM DXing presentation I made at the Southeastern VHF
Society conference at Charlotte, NC, in April for other ideas. That link
is also on my web page.

If you want a medium gain antenna for 70 cm that you can easily
homebrew, consider my SS5 skeleton-slot beam:

http://home.comcast.net/~kh6ty/site/  and click on the SS5 link. Two or
four of these stacked will give you enough gain to reach 200 miles or
more if there is no ducting.  When there is an opening, one of these
antennas will get you 200 to 300 miles.

For 2 meters, you can homebrew a cubical quad like the 12-element
cubical quad that apparently was published in CQ Magazine. The
dimentions are in the MMANA-GAL VHF ANT folder. You need MMANA-GAL
http://mmhamsoft.amateur-radio.ca/mmana/  to display the beam dimensions.

To work 2 meters and 70 cm with a common feedline, many people use a
diplexer. You would probably want to have a separate feedline for 6
meters, and your transceiver may use a common antenna connector for 2
meters and 70 cm, but perhaps a different one (together with HF) for 6
meters.

The best commercial antennas for 2 meters and 70 cm are probably the
K1FO designs sold by Directive Systems: http://directivesystems.com/

Be sure to use low loss feedline for long runs, like hardline (the
lowest loss), or RG-8, especially on 70 CM, unless your runs are very
short, and at least RG-8 on 70 CM.

WSJT is also a digital mode, and with 100 watts and a long yagi, you can
also try EME on the rising moon using WSJT.

The challenges for VHF/UHF DX are quite different from those on HF, but
lots of fun in a different way. Signals, except during a 6 meter
opening, are generally truly "weak signals"! You need all the antenna
gain you can get, and will always wish for even more!

I host a 2 meter DominoEX 8 net, using FM (and horizontally-polarized
antennas) twice a week and we have had checkins by stations with long
yagis from as far away as 200 miles.

Everyone uses horizontally-polarized antennas.

These opinions are based on my own rather recent excursions into VHF/UHF
over the past two years- others may vary.

73, Skip KH6TY

--
*Skip KH6TY*
http://KH6TY.home.comcast.net