That is good, Dave, except for receivers that distort heavily when the AGC is disabled. If you just use manual gain control, and reduce the gain for strong signals, the effect is the same, only manual. You will lose the weak station because you have reduced the gain and the sensitivity. The only way to still copy your weak station and get rid of the strong one is to filter at IF frequencies, which is what fixed filters or passband tuning does. IF DSP will do it also these days, but it needs to be at IF frequencies and not audio frequencies if you are going to prevent AGC capture by an unwanted stronger signal.

14.101 is adjacent to Pactor activity and if you monitor it long enough, you will see the Pactor station stop decoding of ROS. However, most of the automatic Pactor activity we hear is in the US, so the problem may not be as big on the other side of the big pond.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Dave Ackrill wrote:
KH6TY wrote:

> 2. Pactor signals of 500 Hz width, outside the ROS signal, that capture
> the AGC, do desensitize the receiver and cause loss of decoding, as
> expected. Passband tuning takes care of that problem however.

As with many other digital modes, I've been using it with AGC switched off.

Dave (G0DJA)