    From: KH6TY <kh...@comcast.net>
    Subject: Re: [digitalradio] 1976 FCC - Delete all Emission Types
    from Part 97
    To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Monday, March 8, 2010, 8:14 AM

    Trevor,

    The problem with such a regulation is that, unless CW is required
    as a common mode, there is no way for a phone QSO, being able to
    request an interfering digital signal to QSY. Our frequencies are
    shared, and accidental transmission on existing QSO's in
    unavoidable, but the mitigation is the ability for the user of one
    mode to be able to communicate with the user of another mode. The
    problem already exists between digital operators, but the
    regulations were written long ago when essentially there was only
    phone and CW and everyone was required to know CW.

    I don't know what the solution to the current problem is, but the
    problem with solely "regulation by bandwidth" is NOT a solution,
    especially between phone and digital, since there is no way to
    cross-communicate to resolve mutual interference. This is why the
    ARRL "regulation by bandwidth" petition to the FCC was withdrawn
    after already once being denied by the FCC. There have been
    arguments that bandwidth-only regulation works in other countries
    (perhaps with less ham population density), but it definitely will
    not work here. That is why legal separation between data and phone
    has been maintained at all costs, and data kept separate from
    phone. CW usage may be declining, and therefore using less space,
    leaving more for digital modes to use, but use of digital modes is
    still very small compared to CW and phone. Since it is possible to
    create a digital mode that is very spectrum inefficient for the
    benefit it brings, there will probably have to be a future
    restriction of digital mode bandwidths in proportion to the need
    and benefits of the mode. Digital modes will probably have to
    restricted by bandwidth in the future, but there still needs to be
    a "common language" for frequency use mitigation.

    73 - Skip KH6TY

    Trevor . wrote:
    Following the recent discussions about the US license
    restrictions I was looking through the archive of QST mags at
    www.arrl.org

    On April 22, 1976 the FCC introduced Docket 20777, the QST report
    (page June 1976) says

    "Rather than further complicate the present rules," the
    Commission said, "with additional provisions to accomodate the
    petitioners' requests, we are herein proposing to delete all
    references to specific emission types in Part 97 of the Rules.
    "We propose, instead," the Commission continued, "to replace the
    present provisions with limitations on the permissible bandwidth
    which an amateur signal may occupy in the various amateur
    frequency bands. Within the authorised limitations any emission
    would be permitted."

    It would seem that deletion of emission types from Part 97 is
    exactly what is needed now to permit experimentation. Perhaps the
    FCC should be asked to re-introduce Docket 20777

    Trevor