The hope was that PSK63 could replace RTTY, being both spectrally more efficient, and more usable for a panoramic presentation for contesters to see who is on the band, but it never came about. Too bad, I think, because it would help reduce congestion during contests. PSK63's overall time to complete an exchange is roughly equal to RTTY (twice as fast as PSK31), which is considered too slow for "RTTY" contesting, but I don't understand why it has not been adopted. I even wrote an article on PSK63 for the National Contest Journal, but there appeared to be little interest and few comments.

73 - Skip KH6TY

g4ilo wrote:

I don't think digital voice will ever replace SSB, any more than PSK31 and other spectrally more efficient modes will replace RTTY. Radios have a long lifetime. But unlike digital modes whose bandwidth is fixed, phone can communicate using reduced bandwidth. Look what happens in a contest.

Julian, G4ILO