Your are right, Julian. The current regulations mostly protect phone users from interference by other modes and digital users are left to figure out how to share what space is left. The division is approximately 50-50 between phone and digital "what the FCC calls 'data/RTTY'". This is a holdover from the days when the only digital mode was CW and the only data mode was RTTY.

Phone is the easiest to use human/rig interface, and the easiest to learn, so it is the preferred interface for most. Using 20m as an example, 150 kHz is allocated to RTTY/data (digital) and 200 kHz to phone. Assuming a 2.2kHz wide phone mode, there is room for approximately 90 phone stations. Assuming an average of 0.5 kHz wide digital modes, there is room for 300 digital stations. If everybody used a 2.2 kHz wide digital mode, there would only be room for 68 digital stations.

CW is still the most-used digital mode, about .2 kHz wide, depending upon the speed, then RTTY, and now, PSK31, are next, and all the other digital modes have to make do with whatever space is left.

The phone operators could complain that THEY are the second-class citizens and have not been allocated enough space in proportion to their numbers!

What is really needed is digital voice in a more narrow bandwidth, instead of "CD" quality digital voice with a bandwidth of 2200 Hz, because there simply is not enough space for everyone to use wide modes of any kind. That is already possible today by combining speech-to-text with text-to-speech, but the voice is not your "own", but synthesized voice. Dragon Software's "Naturally Speaking" 10 is now good enough speech-to-text with about a 1% error rate with enough training, and my DigiTalk program for the blind ham will speak the incoming PSK31 text as fast as it comes in, so that is essentially "phone" in a 50 Hz bandwidth, but without your "own" voice, and unnaturally slow speaking.

73 - Skip KH6TY

g4ilo wrote:
I'm not sure I follow this argument. The fundamental problem is that, within the area allocated for digital modes, there is not enough space for many simultaneous contacts to take place using a 2.2kHz wide mode. This has not hitherto been much of a problem because until now there has not been much demand for using wide band digital modes. People live with interference from Pactor etc. because it comes in bursts and does not completely wreck a QSO.

If "hordes of operators wanted to use ROS" then without the ability for them to expand upward in frequency the digital modes sub band would become unusable for anything else. All your current legislation does is protect the phone users from interference by other modes and make digital users second class citizens confined to a ghetto where "anything goes".

Julian, G4ILO