Skip,

Thanks for the UHF screenshots. There has to be motion or change taking
place within the refractive medium to cause Doppler and it would seem
this holds true for the type of atmospheric enhancement found on
VHF/UHF. I can see why it's necessary to use the most robust modes if
both Doppler spread and Doppler shift are present much of the time; I'm
sure aircraft scatter is no help either.

Speaking of aircraft reflections; I recorded a short video of the effect
today using a local 2 meter beacon as the signal source (see link
below). The beacon is only 10 miles from my home and the AC Doppler can
be quite strong; often competing with the S9+ signal. You can hear (and
see) the two signals beat together as the AC Doppler sweeps across the
spectrum.

There's quite a bit of air traffic out this way so it would be easy to
test how much of an effect this has on digital. I'll have to pursued a
local buddy of mine to participate. Long distance VHF/UHF will have to
wait until I can find a place for my Yagi's.

Aircraft Doppler recording --
http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/10329668/file.html

7 Zip extraction utility --
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z465.exe