Hi Tony,

Thanks for making the recording of aircraft reflections. Yes, we also see and hear aircraft reflections mixed with atmospheric disturbances all the time. The aircraft reflections sound similar to what you hear on the beacon, and you can identify those because they vary in frequency and intensity as the airplane approaches or recedes, just like you hear.

However, what we experience on UHF over longer paths is a constant "chopping" up of the SSB phone signal, or narrow digital signals, and that seems to correlate with the Hepburn propagation maps, especially when the path crosses two or more levels of ducting, when signals can be strong, but SSB is still not very understandable. When both stations are within the same ducting level, the only audible Doppler effect is usually reflections from airplanes, and sounds much like your recording. When there is no propagation enhancement showing on the Hepburn maps, there is usually a fast, constant, "chopping up" of the SSB phone signal, and when we switch to a relatively wide digital mode, like Olivia or Contestia, which continues to print for a couple of seconds after transmission has ceased (due to the interleaving and FEC, I guess) print is perfect. The frequency of the audible chop is generally around two to three times per second, which is less than the latency of the digital mode. Those modes which display very little or no latency seem to be the ones that fail to print.

Over the next few weeks, we are now going to compare Contestia variations with different bandwidths and latency to see how print compares to the observed period of "chop" on SSB phone.

73 - Skip KH6TY