Julian,

This regulation was made years ago and just covers all "spread spectrum". In the FCC's opinion, ROS is spread spectrum, both by description by the author and lab analysis. So, they had no choice but to uphold the current ruling.

If someone wants to redefine spread spectrum on HF as having a limited spreading factor (no more than SSB phone, for example), this must be done via a petition to the FCC. The procedure is straightforward. I have done it myself on other matters.

Those with an opinion that ROS is NOT "really" spread spectrum and wants to use it in the US only need to file a petition stating why it is not harmful and what limits should be imposed. ROS will have to be given a definition designator and the FCC will then decide where a mode with that emission can be used without harm.

For example, why is NBFM not allowed to be used below 10 meters? Perhaps it also should be, but until the regulations are changed to permit it, it may not be done.

73, Skip KH6TY

On 7/20/2010 4:19 AM, g4ilo wrote:

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:digitalradio%40yahoogroups.com>, KH6TY <kh...@...> wrote:

> I think there are valid reasons for the FCC only allowing spread
> spectrum above 222 Mhz (where there is plenty of room!). A single spread
> spectrum signal on HF may go unnoticed by most stations, but what
> happens if 100 (in range) are on at the same time? The statistical
> chances that where will be QRM on your frequency are much higher, the
> more stations that are on.

You are talking about real, 20kHz or more wide spread spectrum though, aren't you? If it's only as wide as a voice signal, it's causing no more harm than a voice signal (and it probably isn't spread spectrum according to at least some learned opinions.)

Julian, G4ILO