Tom, with voltage feed, you only need an electrostatic ground. I used about 10' x 10' of chicken wire for a ground sheet under mine in Hawaii.

73, Skip KH6TY

Thomas wrote:
What Andy and Skip said, plus a top corner feed causes a pattern distortion in the broadside that narrows the beam width a bit. A bottom element feed through a parallel network has no pattern distortion but requires ground radials.

However you can put down a very minimal ground radial system compared to a 1/4 wave vertical. I used only one 1/4 wave on mine and it worked fine.

73,
Thomas NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
http://www.nz4o.org